Tuesday, May 05, 2009

They Were Right: Redistribution!

They warned me. And they were right. Back when I was supporting candidate Obama for the Presidency, several of my friends were concerned. They warned me that Barack Obama wanted to “redistribute the wealth.” They felt that this was unfair since hardworking, intelligent, godly and (consequently) wealthy people already pay more of their income in taxes than lazy, stupid, ungodly (and therefore) poorer people.

So now President Obama has gone and proved my friends right, at least on one count. Through his stimulus package, the President has given 95% of working Americans more of their own money to spend. That includes the working poor, the middle class and the pretty-darn-near-wealthy. Only the undeniable wealthy escaped this tax cut. This, my friends is a campaign promise fulfilled—signed, sealed, and delivered to your paycheck. So my concerned friends were right. Just like that, President Obama has redistributed the wealth.

But wait, there’s more. Now the President has announced his intention to close tax loopholes that help undeniably wealthy individuals and corporations hide untaxed or low-taxed money overseas. So now the wealthiest of Americans will have to pay their fair share of taxes on even more (though probably not all) of their wealth. There he goes again redistributing the wealth—taking from the few tax-sheltered ones and giving to the tax-paying millions who are just trying to make a enough money to shelter their families. It’s so unfair.

"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Truly I tell you, it is hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for the rich to enter the kingdom of God.--Matthew 19:21=24

2 comments:

Steve Bell said...

Perhaps a breakdown in the biblical example is Jesus gave him the choice to sell all that he had and follow Him. The government is not making it a choice.

tdadpete said...

Steve,
I agree to some extent. I posted the Scripture as a matter of attitude not of law. It bothers me when Christian people have an attitude of "It's my money, I earned it, I should be able to do what I want with it." That's a clearly American attitude, and it's a starting point for believers, but then I would hope that the spirit in the believer would be one of giving--choosing to give, whether through government (if you trust them--which is a whole 'nother issue) or though some other means. But we DO make a choice when we decide whether to support the person who will guarantee that the rich get richer or to support the person whose intention is to give the poor and near-poor a better chance.