For those like Newt who are still confused that anyone would take offense, the problem isn’t political correctness; it is factual and logical correctness:
· Most African Americans are NOT on food stamps.
· Most people on food stamps are NOT African American, the greatest percentage are White.
· Most African American adults ARE working.
· Most adults on food stamps ARE working.
· Most poor adults are either working or trying to work.
· Great work ethics and poor work ethics persist across the economic spectrum.
· Many hard-working people still can’t feed their families.
While Mr. Gingrich may be factually correct by stating, “More people have been put on food stamps by Barack Obama than any president in American history,” it is disingenuous to label President Obama “The Food Stamp President,” without considering WHY so many more people are now on food stamps.
Did I say disingenuous? I mean it is a LIE to say that President Obama wants to make people dependent on the government. President Obama wants to dig the country out of an economic rut and to provide relief to its struggling citizens in the meantime.
Mr. Gingrich’s solutions are based on a distorted, misguided, and erroneous perception of the problems. His rhetoric may resonate with lots of people, but he and those people are ill-informed—not that I think the right information will change their minds.